Tuesday, November 15, 2011

We Have Baggage


I’ve never really been a “purse” girl. You know, multiple purses to accent a plethora of outfits. A purse to me is not so much an accessory as it is a necessity. And to be truthful, I’m pretty hard on the purse I do have. I fill it with all sorts of junk-wallet, cell phone, medicine bag, make up bag, ipod, camera, oral health bag (including floss, tooth brush, small tube of tooth paste), random thoughts note book, occasionally the novel I’m sucked into, lotion, etc. etc. etc. Yes my purse weighs approximately 10 lbs, but it has everything I need. I usually replace it every two years and by then the mere weight of the contents has taken its toll on the straps and they are hanging on for dear life.

I tell you this to emphasize the point that I am not a “Bag person”. However much I wish I could rationalize buying multiple purses to compliment every outfit, it just isn’t practical for me and my heavy-purse habits.

My dear husband however IS a “bag person”. “Explain” you say? Sure.
This summer the sprinkler under our window had a broken head and flooded our apartment. In an effort to clean up the mess I started going through our things on the floor. What I found amazed and astonished me. No less than 10 bags-all belonging to Dave.

When he got home I confronted him about his addiction. He very defensively started protesting, insisting that each bag was a necessity. Necessity: something necessary or indispensable: food, shelter, and other necessities of life.

He had a bag for the gym, a bag for when he goes swimming, multiple bags for lap tops, a library bag, a car bag, a bag for shorter trips, a bag for longer trips, a garment bag, a couple of actual back-packs (I count them as bags, he does not), and yes, a bag to hold all the other bags in!

I was horrified! Wasn’t I supposed to be the one with the bag fetish?!
The one time Dave and I went yard-sale-ing he bought the garment bag. Later, he spotted a travel bag for male toiletries. I put my foot down and it resulted in both of us needing about 30 minutes to cool off before we could reasonably discuss the issue. Clearly Dave feels strongly about a good bag-find, and clearly I do not.

I requested Dave get rid of half his bags after the sprinkler incident. He got rid of 3. But he just ended up taking them to his parents’ house. That means they’ll find their way back to us eventually.

Last night as we were falling asleep I asked Dave what he wanted for Christmas: An overnight Bag.

9 comments:

  1. I am such a bag person. Purses, backpacks, luggage, anything! I say let him have his bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, thanks for sharing all Dave's baggage. I never knew that about Dave. I hope I'm not an enabler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny, who knew Dave was such a bag "hoarder"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. Dave is kind of the same. He has probably 4 camel backs, a few backpacks, etc. He was going to sell one at our yard sale, but when people started getting interested, he decided it was too sentimental. Granted it was his mission backpack... It must be a "people named Dave" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't we warn you before you married David that he came with baggage??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok - that was pretty funny! I was glad I read it! LOL. Dave and Matt seem a lot alike to me sometimes. Where is the new post though? Hope you're having an awesome day!

    love me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today's been one of "those days". But after reading this post I now know what I'm going to write on my thanksgiving bubble for the day: Liz's blog post and Dave's rather alarming bag fetish. You didn't think it could make a person's day I know...

    ReplyDelete